Friday, November 6, 2009

Digitally Remastered Punk


So, Sub Pop has reissued Nirvana's first album, Bleach, as a special edition, digitally remastered whatever.

Just so's everyone knows, this album, when it first came out, was my first taste of "I've got the real cool shit, no one's got this, it's so underground and therefore am I" music snobbery that has carried me over for just under 20 years. I got it much later than the really cool kids who had it before Nevermind, but I learned from them.

Bleach was a loud and abrasive punk fuck you album that prided itself on noisiness and static. I'm pretty sure when it first came out, it was only available on tape. Low quality, non-digitally mastered 1/4 inch tape. It was recorded by casual heroin users in a rat-infested studio in Seattle. Being rat-infested in Seattle is no easy feat. Bleach was meant to be played on a shitty two-speaker tape deck in high school art class (after school) or the skate park. Nevermind was polished corporate rock that assholes and homophobes listened to. Bleach was true skool.

You can't digitally remaster dirty shit. A homeless and smelly dude is still homeless and smelly, whether he's wearing his own shit-stained wet dog smelling sweat pants and ski jacket, or a brand new Boss suit. It's like going to the Mona Lisa and fixing up her smile.

It's stupid. I don't care really, Bleach was a pretty irritating record for me. For some reason, I really liked Incesticide (see the dawn of my music snobbery above).

No comments:

Post a Comment