Sunday, September 13, 2009

Music Bloggin'

Remember when Los Angeles used to be a joke and everybody was laughing? It's true, Los Angeles used to be a place where no one wanted to visit other than for Disneyland, the beach and Hollywood tourist spots.

Now? It's the place where creativity, trends and the coolest people in the world are congregating. It used to be seen as empty, vapid, soulless and without any artistic merit as all residents worshipped superficiality and money. It seemed impossible that anything of non-Hollywood value could be borne of the sunny days and indulgent nights.

Personally, I think it's too hot and I couldn't stand the traffic and sprawl.

Fool's Gold are from LA and should be creating some buzz (if it already hasn't been created and I'm late to the game. Don't laugh - it's happened before.) on music blogs, unlike this one. They borrow from African sounds (as is the style of these days), add Hebrew singing (?) to up the post-modern authenticity ante, and blend it up with an oversized band so hippies can dance comfortably next to hipsters. From the few songs easily available and the dope Micachu remix - I recommend. Stay tuned for buzz. Not here - on music blogs.

p.s. I bought the Konono No. 1 album back in 2004, so you know I'm true to this ish. I've got Bama and the Family and some Kanyok and Luba on my mp3 playa, so don't hate on me being some bandwagon jumping Afro-revivalist, punk!

No comments:

Post a Comment